Friday, February 9, 2007

Day 3: Activism in Action

Day 3: Friday, February 9, 2007

During this short visit to South Africa, I’ve heard over and over again that many South Africans are feeling that they need to unify and mobilize themselves in the fight against HIV/AIDS in the same way they waged the battle against apartheid.

Today, I was honored and privileged to observe the National Executive Committee meeting of the Treatment Action Campaign. TAC’s leadership, including Sipho Mthathi and Zackie Achmat, met with provincial-level leaders and key partners to develop their 2007 strategy. It was amazing to see the strategy for action being discussed and defined based on front-line challenges identified at the community and clinic levels. Drug shortages, test kit stock-outs, the emergence of extremely drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB), the crisis of violence, and the shortage of health care workers were among the key issues discussed and debated. TAC combines community mobilization and education with street protests and high-level policy advocacy. They work closely with the AIDS Law Project, which challenges the government, the AIDS denialists, and pharmaceutical companies that block action. The combined impact of the work of these people is truly historic. They are breaking down the walls of silence, indifference, and greed, and they are saving lives!

As the morning wore on, there was a bit of a lull in the meeting, and a young woman from the Eastern Cape province started singing a South African mobilization song. Soon the whole room was singing and dancing in what seemed like a ritual of solidarity for the people needlessly suffering from HIV/AIDS whom TAC serves. My soul shook from their voices as I tried to absorb every note. I learned so much today from the women and men of the Treatment Action Campaign. I am so inspired, it is hard to leave. However, I fly out at 6:00 am tomorrow for a long day's journey to Kigali, Rwanda.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul, Thanks for bringing us with you. It's very powerful to read your words and be transported back to a place a hold sacredly in my heart. You need a portable recorder to capture the singing. The singing will eventually cure all.

Anonymous said...

I am Robert Melisa thank God for the wonderful healing spell power which Dr WILLIAM render to my life which oracle support, i was been diagnosed with HIV-AIDS over 7years now which has lead me to unemployment and loosing my relationship with my fiance after he heard that i am suffering
from the VIRUS, i tried begging him to allow me stays with him, but he still insist on letting me out of his home, until a friend of mine of Facebook from SOUTH AFRICA told me more about Dr WILLIAM the great healer, that he is going to help restore and healed my diseased with his powerful healing spell, she send me of Dr WILLIAM email address and i quickly contacted him, {profectwilliamspiritualtemple@gmail.com} and he replied to after 30mins of my message that my disease is a little and minor disease, that he will solved the disease immediately only if i can accept all he requested from, i told him yes, because truly i know that " HIV-AIDS IS A WICKED AND DEADLY DISEASE I EVER KNOWS ". so i did all he want from me and surprisingly on Friday last week Dr WILLIAM called me that
my problems is solved that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly really did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now NEGATIVE AND NOT LONG +, I jump up and was crying heavily because truly the disease drive alot of things away from my life, my friends, my cousin, my fiance and relatives, but now since i was confirm NEGATIVE- my lost friends and fiance has been back to me begging for forgiveness, i have forgiven them and now we are now best of friend. again i will say to Dr WILLIAM that he is blessed and may the almighty God which i serve raise him and his family to the higher level in life. Thank and god bless.
Please email Dr SALAMI for healing and solution now at:
(profectwilliamspiritualtemple@gmail.com) or contact his phone number +2348112941538....